Sunday, January 17, 2010

What we Take for Granted


I'm so accustomed to drinking cold water that I never even think about it as being a big deal. Since I drink water constantly throughout the day, I like to keep my bottled water in the freezer until it's time for me to head out so that it stays cold for most of the day. When I showed up at Mosoq Runa with my half frozen water bottle, the kids were simply astonished. They each took turns shaking it to watch as the ice floated vigorously in the bottle. The would shout hielo! (which sounds a lot like "yellow") or before passing it to the next kid. They were so amazed. I was also amazed at their innocent bewilderment.

That day I found out that most of the homes in Urubamba are not equipped with refrigerant systems. Therefore, all beverages are consumed at room temperature, even at most restaurants and stores. In Urubamba, you will not see neon signs in the storefront windows displaying "Cold Beer" even on the hottest days. At that moment, the bottled water wasn't the only thing frozen. My mind became frozen and my thoughts drifted as I pondered how much we take for granted.

The majority of homes in the United States have refrigerators to keep our perishables fresh and our liquids cold. We also have heat to warm us in the winter season and water furnaces to provide us with hot water for bath and/or showers or simply just to wash our hands. For a large number of us, walking is a leisure activity or a cardio sport to keep us fit. While for most of our goings and comings, we jump in our personal vehicles to go to a store, located less than 5-10 minutes away.

Now don't misunderstand, they have different modes of transportation here... mototaxis, taxi cars, collectivotaxis(which are usually crammed to the max, not only with people, but also with animals and their lovely, fragrant aromas). Every time I've had to ride in one, it was like putting your life at jeopardy as they whirl around dangerous curves. Can you say,Where the hell are the guard rails? Driving at incredible speeds, swirling in and around other vehicles so haphazardly that you almost pee your pants. I have learned to adjust by either tightly closing my eyes or just going to sleep with a prayer on my lips.

There are some that cannot afford the 1-6 soles they charge. So they wrap their babies or whatever products they may have whether it's wood, food supplies or laundry in an Incan blanket called Mantas Incas traditionally used by indigenous Peruvians to carry their loads then they walk the mountainous miles home. Some of us will not walk to the corner if we were paid to do it (sad, but true).

Want to talk about culture shock? Here's one for the books. Imagine my most horrified Diva expression when I asked for a restroom (el bano) and was taken to an outhouse made of stones and straw. The toilet was a hole in the ground and it had no toilet paper (I've learned to carry my own…hah!), no handle to flush. Plus, the llamas kept their eyes on me the whole time. I was not sure what that was about but I did my business and got the hell (is that pronounced "yell" in Spanish?) up out of there, LOL!!




We have definitely become a society of overabundance, gluttony and ingratitude. Oh how we take things for granted! I, too, am guilty of the above charges. I pray that these experiences will not only make me more aware of my excesses and tendency to mistake my wants for needs, but also allow me to become a more grateful, non-glutinous person that no longer takes my life and everything in it for granted. I love you all and take heed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment