Sunday, January 3, 2010

What is Enough?



Is there such a thing as enough? The dictionary defines the word enough as follows:

e⋅nough  /ɪˈnʌf/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [i-nuhf]
–adjective
1. adequate for the want or need; sufficient for the purpose or to satisfy desire:

–pronoun
2. an adequate quantity or number; sufficiency.

adverb 3. in a quantity or degree that answers a purpose or satisfies a need or desire; sufficiently.

4. fully or quite: ready enough.

So with those particular definitions in mind is there anything that is enough?

Is there ever enough love? I've met people who were loved and admired greatly, yet seemed totally oblivious or unappreciative to the affection shown to them. There are also those that are constantly showered with love and attention and still feel that it is inadequate.


Does anyone ever feel they have enough money? There are some that have riches, others only dream about, yet are consumed only with the desire to make more.

What of those that have been afforded almost every opportunity in life, yet dwell in the misery of what is not afforded.

There are also those that delight in the trivia of collecting things for the sake of ownership and possession, without regard to the fact that possession is only a figment of one's own imagination. For we bought nothing into this world and I have heard that we most certainly take nothing out.

I remember my daughter sharing with me a major premise, that all human beings operate either through the process of love or fear. I pondered that for awhile to find the truth in it because what is true for me always resonates within me.

I realized that I existed in my early years in absolute fear. Fear of not being loved, not being accepted, not being good enough, fear of being judged unfairly, fear of not having anything worthwhile to say, do or be, fear of not being pretty enough or fine enough, fear of being misused and abused..... again!

I discovered that everything that I feared, appeared. So I have decided enough is enough!

Because my spirit is akin to the Hummingbird that drinks the nectar of everything fragrant and beautiful. Therefore, I have created a flower where each petal represents all things I find joy in and I will drink from the nectar of that enjoyment as I flit through the fragrant beauty of all that life has to offer.

I have chosen to operate only through the process of love. Whether or not it is enough for you, it will certainly be enough for me. Let me repeat.....I choose "LOVE" and that is all the enough I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment