Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Friend Grit







I arrived at the airport in Cusco for the first time and I was met by a woman, who had a taxi waiting.She was tall,thin and had a natural healthy look,She introduced herself as Grit, of course, John Wayne's old movie"True Grit" came to mind, I remember thinking what a strong name for a female, But she was strong too,she grabbed some seriously heavy luggage pieces, like it was lightweight stuff. I was puckered and tuckered out, the altitude was doing it's thing, So i had no problem letting her. We were headed out of the airport when she graciously offered me coca leaves to help with the effects of the altitude. I had read about the custom and was curious and so I graciously accepted.


I liked Grit immediately, She has this very swank way of being. It's probably the blend of German roots mixed with peruvian vine. She moved from germany to live in Peru for 14 years now. She married a native peruvian Who has career in architecture.
Her interest is dealing in plants, She visits the jungle as often as she needs to locate the plants needed to make botanical skin creams. One of the things that struck me the most about Grit, She has a very refreshing honesty and a sweet sort of boldness, I found her to be quite trustworthy with an air of spirituality.

I recall how she had this knack for making feel as if I could do things I'd always been afraid to do. Such as being always afraid of high places, Grit was actually able to convince me that I could do it, that I could actually climb to the areas and nothing would happen. She would look me straight in my eyes with her hand outstretched to take mine and say with certainty "Nothing will happen" and I believed her.



I've had trust issues for as long as I can remember, But it was something about Grit that made her very comfortable to trust. She arrived promptly at 8:30 every friday morning to pick me up for my cultural activity. We visited Moray, the salt mines, aguas calientes, korikancha,Saqsayhuaman,quengo,Puno,Ollantaytambo, Sulisthani, Amaru Muru, Museo de Inka and more.

She was really a joy to be around. I have to tell you the story about her accompanying me to Puno, I didn't want travel alone to Puno, especially after all the stories I had begun to hear about how dangerous it was for females traveling alone and the crime rate, I was told was very high among the tourist, So I asked Grit to come along with me and she agreed. Well about 4-5 days before the trip
Grit was on her way to the Nevo house for a meeting and she was on the motorcycle with her two kids, when a mototaxi sideswiped her, although the children were ok, she sustained a few bumps and bruises, which included a swollen painful knee. Well I figured all bets were off, and preceded to search for another travel companion. Then I called Grit to check on her and get some flight information, she told me squarely that she was still going, I was both surprised and thrilled. We had the absolute best time,sore knee and all. she was an unstoppable ball of energy! That's the kind of amazing and wonderful person she is. I have come to know and love her as a very close and trusting friend. I will certainly miss her until my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment